Post-Doctoral Fellowship in the Environmental Humanities
Application Deadline: January 6, 2017 (this deadline has passed)
The Alice Kaplan Institute for the Humanities invites applications for a two-year post-doctoral fellowship in the Environmental Humanities, to run from September 1, 2017 through August 31, 2019. Applications are welcome from scholars who study the environment from a humanities perspective (analyzing, for instance, environmental history; ecological interface and the built environment; ecological/ecocritical approaches to literature, religion, and/or race; animal studies, green studies, or cultural approaches to water and air; environmental justice and/or ethics and sustainability). The Fellow’s appointment will span the Kaplan Institute and a humanistic department or program in Northwestern’s Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences. The Fellow must be prepared to teach courses that reflect expertise both in environmental studies and in another substantive field. Candidates must complete all Ph.D. requirements before September 1, 2017.
The fellow will pursue a program of independent scholarship under the guidance of a faculty mentor and will teach two undergraduate courses per year. The fellow will also give one public lecture per year and be expected to participate in the events at the Kaplan Institute. This position is a two-year, full-time fellowship with benefits.
Applications, which will only be accepted online, are due by January 6, 2017. Application materials include a research statement of the project to be undertaken during the fellowship period, CV, writing sample of approximately 25 pages (or comparable evidence of scholarly accomplishment), a sample syllabus, graduate transcripts, and the names and e-mail addresses of three references—including the dissertation advisor—whom we will contact for letters of recommendation.
AA/EOE. Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
ONLINE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
1. Please prepare PDF files and determine three references (for a description of what files are needed, see below). Only then should you proceed to the online application portal. All required fields must be filled in before you click on the "Submit Application" button. The system will not accept incomplete applications, and partial applications cannot be saved and worked on at a later time.
2. In the application portal, please complete OFFICIAL CONTACT INFORMATION and ACADEMIC INFORMATION sections.
3. LIST OF REFERENCES SECTION: You will list three referees, along with their email addresses. One referee must by your dissertation advisor. After you submit your complete online application, your references will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation. *Please select "other" for all of the "This reference is" drop down options. Referees will be instructed to submit letters no later than January 9, 2017.
NOTE: If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service's address instead of your referee's address in the appropriate space.
4. APPLICATION DOCUMENTS SECTION. Please upload the following application documents (PDFs) in the application portal. No document may exceed 8M in size. File names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters:
- Research Statement of the project to be undertaken during the fellowship period (while there is no strict page limit, most submissions are 2-5 pages)
- Curriculum vitae of no more than four pages.
- Writing Sample of approximately 25 pages (or comparable evidence of scholarly accomplishment)
- Graduate Transcripts unofficial transcripts are acceptable in these materials; official transcripts may be requested at a later date (if your institution does not offer transcripts, please upload a document that explains this and also outlines your educational history and grades, to the best of your ability)
- Other materials please use this prompt to upload your sample syllabus
Please note that cover letters are not requested in these materials. If there is information relevant to your application that cannot be conveyed in the above materials, you may bundle a brief letter together with your CV into a single pdf. Additionally, applicants are not expected to identify a possible mentor from Northwestern--a mentor will be assigned to the finalist.
Questions? Please contact Tom Burke at email@example.com
The committee hopes to extend an offer in March 2017.