Postdoctoral Fellowship in the ENVIRONMENTAL Humanities
Application deadline: December 10, 2018
The Kaplan Institute for the Humanities invites applications for a two-year postdoctoral fellowship in the Environmental Humanities, to run from September 1, 2019 through August 31, 2020. Applications are welcome from scholars who study the environment from any humanities perspective (focusing on, for instance, ecological approaches to literature, gender, religion, politics, philosophy, the arts, and/or race; animal studies; environmental justice, ethics and sustainability; and/or environmental history). Co-appointed to the Kaplan Institute and a humanistic department or program in Northwestern’s Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences, the fellow will teach two undergraduate courses per year. Candidates must complete all Ph.D. requirements before August 31, 2019, and be no more than four (4) years past their Ph.D. at the time of the fellowship start date. Fellows should also not have started a tenure track position at the time of application.
The fellow will give one public lecture per year and be expected to participate in events at the Kaplan Institute. This position is a two-year, full-time fellowship with benefits.
Deadline for applications is Dec. 10, 2018. Please submit a brief research statement of the project to be undertaken during the fellowship period, C.V., writing sample of approximately 25 pages (or comparable evidence of scholarly accomplishment), two sample syllabi, graduate transcripts, and three references (with email addresses)—including the dissertation advisor—whom we will contact for letters of recommendation. Inquiries about the search may be sent to email@example.com.
AA/EOE. Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States. See the application here: https://facultyrecruiting.northwestern.edu/apply/MzA3
ONLINE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Please prepare PDF files and determine three references (for a description of the files that are needed, see below). Only then should you proceed to the Online Application Portal because the system will not accept incomplete applications. All required fields must be filled in before you click on the "Submit Application" button.
- In the application portal, please complete OFFICIAL CONTACT INFORMATION and ACADEMIC INFORMATION sections.
- LIST OF REFERENCES SECTION: You will list three recommenders (including the dissertation advisor) who will submit letters of recommendation; please have their names along with their email addresses ready when you access the application. After you submit your complete online application, your recommenders will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading their letters. NOTE: If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., Interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service's address instead of your recommender's address in the appropriate space.
- APPLICATION DOCUMENTS SECTION. Please upload the following application documents (PDFs) in the application portal. No document may exceed 8MB in size. File names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters.
- Curriculum vitae
- Research Statement of the project to be undertaken during the fellowship period
- Writing Sample 1 of 25 pages (accompanied by relevant materials) or comparable evidence of scholarly accomplishment
- Sample Syllabi: Please use this section to provide two sample syllabi for upper-division undergraduate courses. Please combine these into a single PDF to upload to the portal.
- Graduate Transcripts: Unofficial transcripts are acceptable with the understanding that official transcripts may be requested at a later date
Questions? Please contact Tom Burke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
APPLICATION PORTAL LINK
Back to top