Faculty Fellowship Program
2017-2018 KAPLAN INSTITUTE FOR THE HUMANITIES FACULTY FELLOWSHIPS
THE APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2017
THE KAPLAN INSTITUTE FOR THE HUMANITIES invites faculty members working in the humanities in the Weinberg School of Arts and Sciences, Bienen School of Music, Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing and Communications, and the School of Communication to apply to become Humanities Institute Fellows. Faculty may apply for a 50% teaching reduction, or, funds permitting, a full year of supported leave. These fellowships enable Northwestern faculty to pursue independent research in the humanities while immersed in an interdisciplinary community of scholars.
HOW ARE THE FELLOWSHIPS AWARDED?
Three senior humanities scholars from outside Northwestern, completely unaffiliated with the University, evaluate applications for scholarly merit. Fellowships are judged on the originality, quality, clarity, and importance of the proposed research project as well as the applicant’s ability to contribute productively to an interdisciplinary group. Final selections are based on the external reviewers’ rankings and the need to ensure distribution across rank and department.
WHAT ARE HUMANITIES FELLOWS?
Fellows join a vibrant community of faculty, graduate students and undergraduates from across disciplines at Northwestern to discuss research in the Humanities. Their responsibilities include:
- participating in Institute events while in residence on campus throughout the 2017-2018 academic year. These events include the lunch seminars ("Kaplan Conversations") held on Wednesdays at noon, Harris Lectures, DIALOGUE events, Northwestern Day-Chicago Humanities Festival events, and the Future Directions Forum, among others.
- presenting a 20-minute talk based upon Institute-supported research at a Wednesday "Kaplan Conversation."
- demonstrating that the research leave will have an impact on undergraduate teaching. Fellows typically fulfill this obligation by offering a new, one-quarter undergraduate course in the humanities in the year immediately following the fellowship year. This course should incorporate research undertaken during the fellowship year.
- recognizing the Kaplan Institute in future publications that benefitted from research conducted during a fellowship year.
WHAT ARE THE GUIDELINES FOR ELIGIBILITY?
THE FOLLOWING APPLIES TO ALL APPLICANTS:
- Full-time faculty members on continuous appointments may apply.
- Applicants must be eligible for a leave and must secure the approval of their Department Chair before applying.
- Faculty applying for a full year of fellowship funding must also simultaneously apply for an external fellowship—please indicate that you’ve done so in your cover letter.
- Applicants for a teaching reduction may not have been on leave in 2016-17.
- Faculty members are ineligible to apply during a year of tenure review.
- Previous Institute Fellows may apply for a second fellowship only after an interval of five years. Preference is given to applicants who have not previously held a fellowship at the Institute and to projects that have not been previously funded by the Institute.
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES:FOR APPLICANTS IN WEINBERG COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES:
Only those eligible for a leave in 2017-18 may apply to expand the normal one-quarter leave into a full-year leave. Teaching reductions do not count against a faculty member’s ongoing “leave clock.”
APPLICANTS IN BIENEN SCHOOL OF MUSIC, MEDILL SCHOOL OF JOURNALISM, MEDIA, INTEGRATED MARKETING, and SCHOOL OF COMMUNICATION must secure approval from their Dean and Department Chair.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Please visit our Online Application Instructions and review all instructions on this page prior to clicking through to the Application Portal, as you will not be able to save an incomplete application. Submit your application electronically BY 11:59 PM ON FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2017. All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format (not MS Word).
IMPORTANT: APPROVALS REQUIRED BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION:
To indicate the approval of your Department Chair (and Dean, when applicable), please forward your email correspondence signaling the approval—or request the Chair/Dean to email their approval directly—to Jill Mannor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALL OTHER APPLICATION MATERIALS MUST BE SUBMITTED VIA THE ONLINE APPLICATION PORTAL.